Spain players reiterated that they are boycotting the women’s national team despite being called up to the final squad.
Fifteen members of the squad that won the World Cup last month have been included in the squad for the upcoming UEFA Nations League matches.
A group of 81 players boycotted the national team after Luis Rubiales, the Spanish Federation’s coach at the time, kissed striker Jenny Hermoso after the final match last month.
This disagreement led to Rubiales’ resignation.
On Friday, 39 players – including 21 of the 23 World Cup winners – took part. They said their strike would continue Until more changes are made and they don’t “yet feel like they’re in a safe place.”
Two-time Ballon d’Or winner Alexia Putellas was among 15 players called up who were part of the victorious squad in Australia and New Zealand. However, Hermoso was disqualified.
The players later published a statement issued by the “FootPro” website, in which they confirmed that the boycott was still in place, and expressed their regret that they were “once again put in a position that we never wanted to be in.”
They added that they intend to explore the potential legal implications of being recalled against their will, saying: “We will examine the possible legal consequences that the Spanish Football Federation exposes us to by placing us on the list from which we have been excluded.” “We asked not to be called up for reasons that were explained publicly and in more detail to the Spanish Federation, and in doing so we are making the best decision for our future and our health.”
This was the first squad announcement by new coach Montse Tomé, who replaced Jorge Villeda – considered a close Rubiales ally – after his dismissal earlier this month.
Tomé, who was Velda’s assistant manager, became the first woman to serve as president of the Spanish women’s team.
Earlier on Monday, the Spanish Federation urged attacking players to return to the national team. the organization He said previously Players have an “obligation” to play if selected.
“We stand with Jenny,” Tommy said.
“We think the best way to protect her is this way, but we’re counting on Jenny.”
Barcelona duo Maby León and Patry Guijarro – who were not included in Spain’s World Cup squad after signing an open letter against then-coach Villeda – have also been included alongside Tommy.
“It’s the beginning of a new phase, and the clock is ticking,” Tommy said.
“There is nothing behind us and we really want to connect with these players.”
On Friday, the 39 players who boycotted the national team issued a statement saying that they would not return until other conditions were met, including the restructuring of certain departments within the Spanish Football Federation, adding that they “do not yet feel that they are in a safe place.”
The Spanish Football Federation responded by expressing its commitment to making the change “to restore the entity’s performance.”
The Spanish government also assured the players that changes will be made and there will be greater representation of women in the federation.
Rubialis It has been pointed out of coming within 200 meters of Hermoso, who said the kiss was not consensual, after the 33-year-old filed a legal complaint.
Rubiales, who appeared in court for the first time last Friday, denied sexually assaulting Hermoso.